With the rise of amateur MUA’s and celebrity brand partnerships, the beauty industry is definitely at its highest peak. Young teens are more on fleek than ever, whether they’ve applied it themselves or had a pro do the job.
You have to agree the talent and products available to us now have stepped up their game since 2007 when I started secondary school.
Us ’90s kids lived in a world full of Dream Matte Mouse, Technic eyeliner and Miss Sporty Mascara. Bodycare’s sales must have been through the roof – I literally lived in that store.
Here are the top 7 ways us older kids use to apply our makeup in school:
1. Brushes weren’t important. You used your skin as a palette and your fingers as the applicator. Imagine how much money we saved?
2. Maybelline Dream Matte Mouse foundation was the bomb. It was acceptable to have an orange jaw line back then or be the palest of them all. #beautyblenderssavinglivessince2015
3. Concealer wasn’t that important. If you had a blemish you either covered it with more orange-ness or left them at their natural state. There was no under-eye technique either, no strobing, no baking and definitely no contouring.
4. Lets talk about the cheek area. Blusher came in the most vibrant pink of them all, talk about permanent rosy cheek syndrome. Plus there was no such thing as highlighting.
5. Eyeshadow really wasn’t a big thing at all. The only way to accentuate your eyes was eye liner and I don’t mean the pretty ‘wing’ kind. Pencil or liquid, thick and circular were the ways to wear it. Also don’t forget the scribbling between each eyelash and the water line. Think Halloween *crying with laughter emoji*.
6. Forget falsies and individual lashes and strip back to the basics of mascara. Miss Sporty was the perfect product back in the day when clumping your lashes together was the right way to do it. We’re glad our application technique has amended but, come on girls, our awkward faces whilst applying never will.
Remember, as Shelley Darlington from House Bunny would say: “The eyes are the nipples of the face”. Make them stand out for the right reasons.
7. Finally the lips. Liquid lip, metallics, using more than one at once and even lip liner just weren’t in our makeup bag. Pick a colour and put it on, simples. Boring? Maybe, Quick and money saving? Yes.
So girls, picture a life stripped back to makeup basics.
It was a hell of a lot cheaper but you may have went out the house looking like this…
Or maybe this…
But definitely not like this…
What makeup technique could you not live without? Did you worship a certain product back in the day? Tweet us and let us know @Fashion_North