Tom Ford is one of the leaders of men’s fashion around the world, so it’s no surprise that he has a very specific expectation of how men should groom themselves. So I thought his Ten Commandments needed to be put to the test.
10. This one stated that I don’t need to wear deodorant, because the way sweat smells is sexy according to the designer. I personally can’t wear deodorant anyway so this one was a breeze. If you’re thinking “ew, no deodorant that’s gross” the smell thing is covered later.
9. Cutting out onions and garlic was a bit of a struggle. While I don’t really eat garlic that much I do love onions in wraps and cooked with pasta, so this was like saying goodbye to someone you don’t want to. Fresh breath is more important apparently.
8. Going back to point nine. I wasn’t allowed to chew gum in public because it looks wrong. I totally failed on this at one point, but I was going into a lecture where it was dark so I can totally get away with that. Right?
7. Feet are not something that appeal to me, and other people touching mine is just a big no no. Instead of getting a professional manicure I just looked after my own because not that many people take interest in my feet.
6. Using cold packets to get rid of eye puffiness is not something that affects me so I did not have to do this luckily. (I really don’t like cold things on my face.)
5. “Like white teeth, white eyes matter.” This one was the hardest one for me to keep up with. Having to spend time in an office in front of a screen writing for a lot of my day means my eyes get tired and bloodshot. I bought eye drops that used natural plant extracts to relieve tired eyes. But, I wasn’t allowed to use them every day so that was not easy to keep up with.
4. Hands go through a lot every day, so you have to make sure you keep them looking nice and clean. Once again looking after my own nails instead of getting a professional manicure was easier and cheaper. It’s not that hard to do, so my nails have been kept on form all week.
3. Keep your beard trimmed. Well I can’t grow a beard properly to save my life. I am one of the poor unfortunate people that can only grow a patchy one that has to be shaved off in a week. If I could keep my facial hair the same as it is 2-3 days after I shave would be utter perfection.
2. Combatting the no deodorant clause of the Ten Commandments by spraying cologne all over. Seeing as my skin doesn’t allow me to wear deodorant this one is all I can do really to make sure I smell nice. Switch it up every day or whenever you want a change to make sure you don’t get used to the smell of your cologne.
1. If you have body hair Ford says that you should always check with your partner to see their preference on whether you trim it or not. Luckily for me I don’t have any and I don’t have a boyfriend to even take into consideration so this point is completely irrelevant.
Living like this was not that difficult, but I didn’t like cutting out one of my favourite foods. But I think I will continue with the Ten Commandments, for now anyway.