Earlier today it was announced that fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld has passed away at the age of 85 due to weeks of ill health.
As the Creative Director for fashion house Chanel for 37 years, along with 54 years at Fendi, this has come as a huge shock to all major fashion lovers around the world.
Having created designs for his own label also, along with high street brand H&M, we have truly lost an icon within the industry.
Earlier in the year, it was reported that Lagerfeld missed two Haute Couture Chanel shows in January, due to fatigue. However, we are now learning that this has been down to ill health for quite some time.
Known for his exquisite style, with block black sunglasses and his slick back peroxide ponytail, his boots will definitely be bigs ones to fill.
Many heavyweights within the fashion industry have already paid tribute and we’re adding ourselves to this list by sharing some important facts about the king himself.
- Did you know in the 80s Lintegratedtergrated the interlock ‘CC’ monograph of Coco Chanel into a style pattern for the Chanel house?
- He’s never liked his teeth which is why he doesn’t smile.
- He use to be a caricaturist, one of his most famous quotes about himself is: “I am like a caricature of myself, and I like that. It is like a mask.”
- His cat Choupette is the most pampered pussy cat in the world… she has her own jet and has inspired many of Lagerfeld’s design. She is his only love, who will look after her now?
- Lagerfeld is and will always be the most stylish, influential designer of the 21st century.
A famous quote of his about retiring reads: “Why should I stop working? If I do, I’ll die and it’ll be all finished.”
We’re all deeply saddened by the news here at Fashion North HQ, keep an eye out for some other tributes to the man, the myth and the legend that is Karl Lagerfeld, RIP.